My Whole 30 Experience: Weeks 1 & 2
Where to begin! The #Whole30 made its way into my life via friends and Pinterest. I finally decided to join the challenge as a support partner for my manfriend. If you don’t know, the Whole 30 is defined by Wikipedia as “a 30-day fad diet that emphasizes whole foods and during which participants eliminate sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, soy, and dairy from their diets.”¹
The creators of the program despise the word diet and seek for the Whole30 to be a catalyst to change your life. It aims to change your relationship with food, body weight, and unexplained chronic ailments. The Whole30 is a 30-day eating plan centered around eliminating “all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days”² to allow the body to reset. (More Info)
- What’s Out? Sugar, Alcohol, Grains, Legumes (Beans, Peas, Lentils, Soy, Peanuts), and Dairy. Additionally, you’re not allowed to weigh or measure yourself, recreate baked goods, or consume most additives in processed foods.
- What’s In? Meat, Seafood, Eggs, vegetables, Fruit, and Natural Fats (including Ghee).
This sounded extreme but I thought could handle it. Last September I undertook a 30-day raw vegan diet for my own personal reasons. My eating habits were permanently changed as I learned first hand the profound transformation your mind + body is capable of undertaking during a one month period. I never readded meat of dairy to my diet. However, I def enjoy cookies, chips, and chocolate!
Week 1 Deets
Grocery: I did not plan ahead so I wasted a ton of money. I made a big Sunday grocery trip and went back mid-week. Additionally, I was out of food/tired of making my meals by the weekend so I ate out Friday/Saturday (Oh hey Whole Foods salad bar!). Week 1 grocery will always be more expensive as you have to get seasonings and stock ingredients like Olive Oil, Ghee, etc. I def want to do a better job planning for next week!
Meals: I ate mostly raw/vegan this week as it was easy and quick. No matter how much coaching and pumping up I do, I just don’t like to cook lol.
- Breakfast: Typically an avocado or grapefruit. I’m not super hungry in the mornings and also haven’t figured out a Whole30 breakfast that sounds good. Next week I plan to try sweet potato hash or kale + potato scrambles. This week was a breakfast fail lol.
- Lunch: Salad with a mixed base of various greens (Green Kale, Purple Kale, Bok Choy, etc). My salad formula consists of greens + texture + kick + dressing massaged in. I use purple cabbage or nuts for texture and for kick I use fruits (grapefruits, blueberries) or veggies like radishes. I made my own dressing this week! It was an Avocado Sesame dressing (Avocado + Sesame Oil + Lime + Salt/Pepper). FULL DISCLOSURE: I was using Bragg’s Liquid Aminos at the beginning of the week because I didn’t realize it was contraband. Whoops!
- Dinner: Same salad as lunch or Rosemary Sweet Potatoes and salad (similar preparation here).
- Snacks: Kombucha, Seaweed snacks, Nuts, Blueberries, Grapefruit, or Strawberries
Week 2 Goals:
- Have a plan when I go to the grocery store! Make specific meals.
- Increase water intake and more rest.
- Decrease Snacking (Whole30 recommends no snacking and eating larger meals).
- Beat my manfriend to the kitchen in the mornings and start making breakfast.
I’m going to be completely honest here. I’m over it!! I would have quit by now if my boyfriend wasn’t going so strong. I truly think this 30 days for me is more a test of self-discipline than of anything else. I feel like I’m fighting a battle with myself. Normal me is saying “You got this, you’ve done this before, no pressure!” and Inner Kermit Me is like “Just eat a cookie no one will know”. So that is how my Whole30 Week 2 began lol.
This week was a bit better than the first as I started to get creative in the kitchen. I whipped up a yummy Strawberry Salad in addition to my normal salads + potatoes. Although there’s new variety, I still feel very restricted. I’ve been playing with buying new ingredients and additives this week to add new flavors to some of my more basic dishes.
Week 2 Deets
Grocery: I did better with my grocery shopping this week. I realized my core items were greens, potatoes, limes, grapefruit, avocado, and nuts. This week I made some new purchases!
- Nutritional Yeast – I’d heard about this for years in the vegan/vegetarian community but had never tried it. I must say I enjoy the flavor! It adds a savory bite to my potato dishes when sprinkled on. I disliked using it as a seasoning while sauteeing as it bubbled and changed the food’s texture.
- Leeks – I just bought these because they were on sale and I felt like I could become Rachel Ray with any ingredient. Unfortunately, all the recipes that called for leeks looked disgusting. I had no interest in eating a potato + leek soup and the sauteed leeks did not look like an appetizing spring meal. Sadly I wasted my $$.
- Coconut Aminos – I’m not a fan. It just doesn’t taste the same as the Braggs! (Which in theory I guess it isn’t supposed to but perhaps I’m addicted to Braggs?).
Meals: This week was half and half raw foods and cooked foods (Disclaimer: by cooked foods I mean baked or roasted veggies). I also felt very hungry so I allowed myself eggs.
- Breakfast: Avocado or grapefruit. Towards the end of the week, I’d have 2 boiled eggs + avocado. Years ago eggs made me sick so I’d stopped eating them but my body seems to tolerate them well.
- Lunch: Same salad as Week 1. FULL DISCLOSURE: I continued using Bragg’s Liquid Aminos. It has been my cheating item on the Whole30. It makes my salads taste so much better. Maybe I’ll give it up next week?
- Dinner: Same salad as lunch or roasted sweet potatoes + cauliflower (similar preparation here).
- Snacks: Lemon LaCroix, Kombucha, Nuts, Grapefruit, or Strawberries
Energy Levels: I feel good. I’m definitely slimming down and waking up at 6:30am is getting easier daily.
Other: I’m drinking much more water, at least 1.5L per day. My forehead is clearing (Thank you, Lord!). I’m also becoming more regular which is an added benefit (Sorry for TMI🙊 )
All in all Week 2 was a mental battle in persistence. I have a tendency to bend and break the rules as my inner rebel spirit just loves to make itself known. During this Whole30 I’m focusing on cultivating a more loving approach to self-discipline as opposed my usual unhealthy form.
Week 3 Goals
- Be more loving towards me.
- Continue to decrease snacking.
- Decrease Braggs use/Work to Eliminate it
Originally Posted to FierceClarity.com April 2017