Hearty Egg + Tomato Breakfast
During fall, cooler temps bring a desire for warm foods. Today I’m sharing a hearty egg + tomato breakfast recipe since breakfast is my favorite meal of the day (well technically brunch but we’ll discuss that another day lol #basic).
I first tried Shakshuka, an egg + tomato breakfast dish that originated in Tunisia, at a restaurant in Houston and it was the perfect meal — hearty, but not heavy. I decided to recreate this dish but it’s unfair to call my recipe a Shakshuka because I didn’t use a traditional recipe and just worked with what I had on hand. It came out wonderfully — delicious, filling, and flavorful!
- Roma Tomatoes, Organic Tomato Paste
- Mushrooms, Onions, Red Bell Pepper
- Spices: Himalayan Pink Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Cayenne, Crushed Red Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, begin simmering onions + sliced red bell pepper. Once the onions become translucent, add in tomatoes + spices.
- Add in tomato paste + water to create a sauce to your desired thickness. Total simmer time ~5-10 mins.
- Transfer sauce to oven-safe skillet (like cast iron).
- Create small a small hole in the sauce with a spoon.
- Crack an egg in a small bowl and then pour into skillet sauce hole (Don’t crack the egg directly into the skillet!). Repeat with as many eggs as you have.
- Place in oven and bake until egg whites are fully cooked (~10 mins or more depending on the size of your skillet).
Finish by topping with whatever you choose! I used hemp seeds + spices + a fresh herb (basil in this case). Let me know how yours turns out