Spring Strawberry Salad
Happy Spring! I crave colder foods when it’s warm outside and this Spring Strawberry Salad does the trick. Salads have become my Whole30 staples! I make large enough portions to divide and eat for both lunch and dinner.
Salads can get boring super quickly. The key to making a good salad is to vary the base. By switching up your lettuce of choice you experience new textures, flavors, and tastes! Below find the recipe for a Spring Strawberry Salad to throw together on a sunny afternoon.
- Lettuce Base: Green Kale, Purple Kale, Lacinato Kale, Swiss Chard
- Add-Ins: Purple Cabbage, Strawberries, Radish
- Dressing: Avocado, Sesame Oil, Lime, Coconut Aminos
- Toppings: Radish Sprouts, Sesame Seeds, Avocado, Salt + Pepper
- Wash + Dry lettuce then remove stems and slice thinly.
- Chop Add-Ins and add to lettuce base
- Make Dressing by combining Avocado + Sesame Oil + Lime + Coconut Aminos in a small bowl. Varying ingredient quantity will change the dressing viscosity so add more oil to thicken it up or more lime to thin it to taste. The avocado can be cubed as it will be massaged into the salad.
- Pour dressing over salad and massage into lettuce. Massaging your salad can seem weird at first since the hands get dirty and we usually don’t touch our food in this way. However, this massage helps to break down tough leafy greens like kale + swiss chard. As the structure of the leaves breaks down they become less bitter and softer. (NOTE: You probably hate kale because eating raw kale is like taking a bite into cardboard lol! Try massaging the dressing in and experience the softer side!)
Finish salad by adding toppings of Radish Sprouts, Sesame Seeds, and Avocado. Salt + Pepper to taste and enjoy!