New Moon = New Intentions
The new moon offers an opportunity for us to create new intentions. It’s the portion of the month where the moon isn’t visible and likewise, we’re able to retreat within ourselves. The energy of the new moon is reflective and a time for us to go inward to seek new ideas + inspiration for our intentions.
The past few years have been a masterclass in cultivating the ability to be present. Living through periods of uncertainty requires an abandoning of future plans in favor of attending to what’s happening NOW. As you set your intentions for this new moon, I invite you to consider creating an intention around self-care. Use this as an opportunity to focus less on things + accomplishments and more on the quality of your life.
Listen to your intuition and allow new ideas to form.
What is Intention?
Intention is your directed will and power. According to Deepak Chopra, “Intention is the starting point of every dream. It is the creative power that fulfills all of our needs, whether for money, relationships, spiritual awakening, or love. Everything that happens in the universe begins with intention.” (read more HERE).
By creating intentions, we’re able to bring our conscious awareness to a single point of focus. Gary Zukav reminds us “You create your reality with your intentions”². As you get clear about your intention, The Universe conspires to help you and a new reality starts to emerge.
Setting an intention can center around a positive quality you want to cultivate, an aspect of life you want to change, or breaking a habitual pattern. It doesn’t matter if it takes the form of a word, an affirmation, or a mantra; what matters is the spirit behind the intention. This month, consider creating intentions around self-care.
New Moon Intention: Self-Care
The Set-Up: Create an atmosphere of calm by tidying up your space and getting cozy. Burn sage/Palo santo/a candle or use your fav essential oil to shift the energy in the room via aromatherapy. Grab your journal and turn on some soft + chill music. By stimulating three senses (sight, sound, smell), you help yourself be present + grounded.
The Journal Prompts: Use these self-care journal prompts as a guide to go within + create your new moon intentions. You can answer all of the prompts or just pick and choose a couple to deep dive into. Get still and ask —
- How are you currently taking care of yourself?
- What self-care practices do you do consistently?
- What self-care practices can you incorporate this Spring?
- How do you use your free time?
- How do you express yourself creatively?
- What positive quality do want to cultivate in your life?
- What wants to emerge from you during this Spring?
- What needs to be released?
- How can you bring your desires into reality?
Creating Your Self-Care Intention: Use what has come up from the journal prompts to create one – three intentions for the month ahead.
- I intend to have one evening of personal time per week.
- I intend to show myself compassion and not be so hard on myself
- I intend to eat in a more healthy + balanced way
Want to explore more of this work? Pre-Order THE GLOW UP JOURNAL now!
1. 5 Steps to Setting Powerful Intentions. http://www.chopra.com/articles/5-steps-to-setting-powerful-intentions#sm.0000e2p44mjvney4rqs28yrdpb7qq
2. The Seat of the Soul. Gary Zukav. Published 1989.