Summer Jackfruit Tacos (Plant-Based!)
Summer is officially here which means tacos, tacos, and more tacos! These jackfruit tacos are easy to make and a great way to “WOW” anyone new to plant-based cuisine. Jackfruit takes on the appearance/texture of pulled meat and provides a hearty + satisfying base for tacos.
- 1 Can of Jackfruit (Trader Joe’s brand used in this recipe)
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (here)
- Siete Grain Free Tortillas (here)
- Pico De Gallo + Mango Salsa
- Jalapeno Crema: Jalapenos, Cashews, Cilantro, Cucumber, Dill
- Seasoning: Taco Seasoning Mix, Salt, Pepper
- Optional: Miso Paste (here) – I like miso because it adds depth to the flavor but it’s not a necessary addition!
- Jackfruit – The jackfruit comes sliced in the can but there are seeds so remove those first (reference video here). Then place cut Jackfruit in a skillet with olive oil. Allow simmering on medium heat for ~8-10 minutes until the texture of the fruit softens. Add in Chipotle peppers, an optional tablespoon of miso paste, and taco seasoning + salt + pepper to taste. Using a spatula, begin to mash the jackfruit to create separation in the chunks creating a pulled meat texture (it may take a little while so be patient). Continue to stir + cook jackfruit on low heat for an additional ~10 minutes until tender.
- Jalapeno Crema– Place 1 Cup Cashews, 1/2 Cucumber (sliced), 2 Jalapenos (sliced), and a handful of cilantro + dill in a high-speed blender. Add 1 to 1.5 cups of water depending on desired texture. Blend on medium-high for ~5 minutes until a creamy consistency is reached.
- Taco Shells – Using an open flame or a heated skillet, char tortillas for ~20 seconds on each side to warm them.
Now comes the fun part! Take your warm tortillas and layer in the jackfruit + top with Arugula, Pico De Gallo + Mango Salsa, and Mashed Avocado. Finish with the Jalepeno Crema + lime for a delicious summer dinner!